NovationMusic.com

The official Novation forum
It is currently 24th April, 2014, 11:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MiniNova synth broken after firmware update.
PostPosted: 26th December, 2012, 4:10 pm 

Hello. I just recently updated the firmware on my mininova to 1.004. There is now no sound coming from it and when I try to change tempo it read's "External Clock!" while the tempo numbers glitch up. Has this happened to anyone else?

I have reinstalled the update several times. First time it gave me a factory reset option but now it doesn't

Is there any other way to do a factory reset on this synth? I wan't it fixed as soon as possible. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: MiniNova synth broken after firmware update.
PostPosted: 28th December, 2012, 5:22 pm 

Are you using the USB cable for power, while connected to the computer? Seems like this is a problem for some users. Try updating the software again and then disconnecting he Minianova from USB completely. You should then hear sound ou of the headphone/ outputs.

Seems like USB is locking out local keyboard control thus muting the sound. hopefully will be fixed in the next update.

PostPosted: 30th December, 2012, 8:28 pm 

Thanks for the replay, it's good to know it's not only me who has this problem. And yes I did connect the synth by USB while I updated it.

I know the software editor and and librarian are still in the beta stage so hopefully they will fix this and it won't corrupt my synth like last time. Also I'll use mains power instead of USB next time I update.

In the meantime I installed an older update from the beta page and I've not found any bugs so far.

PostPosted: 30th December, 2012, 9:41 pm 

Yes, it seems like revision 1004 has some issues, but it was the first version that had a working editor in the install. Since that's what everyone was asking for, thats why this revision was released into the wild.

I've thought of downgrading the firmware, but I'm sure we'll have a new revision eventually.

I keep replying to every MiniNova question because for several weeks it was like I was the only person on the Internet who had issues with the firmware, and I was going nuts looking for company.

PostPosted: 3rd January, 2013, 9:55 am 

Hi all,

I just purchased a mininova for christmas and updated the firmware to v1004 the first time i plugged it in while instralling the librarian and editor (using the mininova installer v1.2).

I also encounter the issues that Ted 3000 has listed in the technical forum thread he created (the thing that annoys me the more is the latch problem and the sync drift when mininnova is slaved to external midi clock...)

I also found other issues:

- the arp edit function does not work as it is supposed to: everytime i disable a step from an arp pattern, the pattern just jumps the disabled step and play the note that is normally disabled the step after... this results in a complete mess after one pattern...

- i experience weird digital artifacts on some sounds, especialy when using the 4 pole Low pass filter at high resonnance settings... also when i edit the Q normalise of the filters it produces some hard digital artifacts...

I hope Novation will fix this quickly with a firmware update soon...

Is there a way to downgrade the os of the mininova to the prrvious version?

Thanks
Cheers
Vinz

PostPosted: 3rd January, 2013, 7:15 pm 

you could try
http://beta.novationmusic.com/
scroll down until you see OS version 9-something.
I have not tried a downgrade, not sure if the hardware will accept a prior system version. Not sure if the editor will work since it was bundled with 1004. Back up your patches!

PostPosted: 3rd January, 2013, 8:15 pm 

Hi Ted,

I just downgraded the firmware using sysex librarian just as explained in this page: http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=756
downgraded from 1004 to 989

I also upgraded the patches/waveforms from 903 to 972 (i backed up my patches before... it replace all C bank with default preset)

It seems to work fine but i didn't tried it with the editor and external midi clock etc... just played through the presets 5 minutes...

I will try this evening to see if it's better than 1004...

Cheers
Vinz

PostPosted: 7th January, 2013, 11:08 pm 

So... downgrading resulted in a complete mess for me... it was not a good idea!
After a few time, the mini nova became very unstable, with the arp not working properly and other weird things...
So i came back to the 1.2 installer and re-installed the 1004 Firmware (but kept with the Patches/Waveform v972) and things are much better, arp working again etc.
But, now with arp i get occasional stuck notes which is really annoying...

And the software editor crashes ableton every time i delete it from a track...

I hope new version will come soon, not in two months :-(

Cheers

PostPosted: 8th January, 2013, 6:24 pm 

I am having the exact same problem with the 'external clock' i try to adjust the tempo of dubstep wobble and it doesnt change the rate it just says 'external clock!' and does not do anything i have downloaded the latest firmware to which is v1004 over and over again and nothing has changed

PostPosted: 9th January, 2013, 2:48 pm 

Hi ttekniker1,

If you are sending external midi clock sync to the mininova from a DAW or other hardware, it's normal that you can't adjust the tempo on the mininova with the tempo knob! it only works if the midi clock is set to "internal", to do so, go to the global menu and set external clock to "internal"...

Cheers
Vinz